– The Lost World –
Fiordland – New Zealand Photography Workshop
In the far South West of New Zealand, Fiordland abides as a vast complex of rugged mountains, ancient forest, rivers, fiords, towering waterfalls, glacially carved valleys and some of the finest wilderness on earth. This is my home, my passion and the very best of New Zealand, all in one place.
Date: December 17 – 20 2018 – 4 days and 3 nights (Booked Out)
January 15 – 18 2019 – 4 days and 3 nights (less hiking)
January 21 – 24 2019 – 4 days and 3 nights
Location: Beginning and ending in Queenstown, New Zealand
Group Size: Maximum of 4 workshop participants
Skill Level: Suitable for photographers of all skill levels
Fitness Level / Difficulty: There is hiking on this trip. Please contact me if you’re unsure of your fitness.
Overview/What to Expect
A 4-day, 3-night photography workshop exploring the wild and rugged beauty of Fiordland, in the South Island of New Zealand. In our small group of 4 participants, we will depart from Queenstown and head south together to my home town of Te Anau. After grabbing some supplies we’ll set off into the mountains and valleys, where we will be based for the next 4 days. With accommodation right in the heart of it all, we will have everything on our doorstep – from glacial rivers, thousands of waterfalls, ominous mountains, mossy forests and steep valleys, a lifetime of photography can be found right here and I’ll take you to all the icons and plenty of hidden gems I’ve come across over the years.
On top of this, time will be set aside to develop your skills in Photoshop, where I’ll share my own unique post-processing techniques. There is no set itinerary, we will adapt to the light, weather and atmosphere – just how landscape photography should be! We will also board a boat and travel down Milford Sound on a 2hr nature cruise that takes us beneath the towering peaks and waterfalls by the sea.
Pre-planning a shoot, working in dynamic light, low light, composition, long exposures, focus stacking, exposure blending, panoramas, hand-held photography, astro and much more will be covered. Our small group size means I’ll be able to work with you all one-on-one and help you refine your skills, on matter your experience.
My love and passion for this area caused me to permanently relocate here with my family. I truly believe that Fiordland not only possesses the most jaw-dropping scenery in New Zealand but some of the finest in the world. There’s an almighty sense of awe and reverence here that can only be experienced firsthand, and I look forward to sharing it with you.
- Unique and personal photography tour through Fiordland, New Zealand
- Experienced guide with Department Of Conservation concessions
- 4-days of professional photography tuition, addressing your individual photography goals
- Learn my entire workflow; how to shoot mountains, forests, long exposures, night photography, sunrises and sunsets, focus stacking, focal length blending, high dynamic range scenes and more
- Effectively compose unique and strong compositions in a variety of environments
- Receive my Photography Fundamentals multi-page hand out to take home
- Understand and comfortably learn how to completely shoot in manual mode
- Post processing tutorials using Photoshop – RAW file processing, exposure blending, glow effects, sharpening, resizing
- 3 nights’ accommodation right in Fiordland at the historic Gunns Camp – shared rooms by gender
- Transport for the duration of the tour with return pickup from Queenstown
- Small group for an intimate learning experience and more room at locations
- Visit the iconic Milford Sound on a 2hr scenic cruise
View frequently asked questions here.