New Zealand South Island
Summer Photography Workshop
New Zealand South Island photography workshop – From vibrant glacial lakes, dramatic snow-capped peaks that rise kilometres from the earth, blooming wild flowers, waterfalls and long lasting golden hours, photographing the South Island is a paradise on earth and a must for any serious photographer. Come with me on this adventure and find out why I decided to call this place home.
Overview/What to Expect
This is a personal and private 7-day photography workshop exploring some of the most incredible locations in the stunning South Island of New Zealand. I’ve been shooting professionally for years now, guiding people to these places that I know well and admire. I know where to be at the right time and I know how to help take your photography and your photographic vision to the next level. This is my love, my passion and what I know best.
On all my tours, my aim is for you to not only experience the beauty of a country but also go home with memories, skills and images that will last a life time. From sunrise to sunset, night photography and post-processing, I’ll be using my local knowledge and experience to make sure we are at the right places when it matters the most. I’ll also be sharing with you all I know about photography and what goes in to making my images. With a small group size, we have a personal, friendly and flexible learning environment, allowing you to explore and find your own compositions and get the most out of this unforgettable experience.
A big part of landscape photography is being able to read and adapt to the conditions at hand and as a result I believe some of the best images are unplanned, reacting to a unique moment that suddenly presents itself. So, although an itinerary with locations and accommodation is booked, I always allow for the unforeseen situations that have a way of regularly occurring in a place like New Zealand. In the past, this has seen us photographing the Aurora Australis through the night, chasing a snow storm in Wanaka and making several detours on the way to Tekapo to capture a flurry of snow and rainbows. Anything can happen!
Your photography and your goals are my commitment and I delight in seeing you capture the images you’ve always dreamed of. This art has changed my life and I want you to experience it too.
Our tour will see us explore the following locations:
Leaving from Queenstown we will cover some of New Zealand’s grandest landscapes including;
- Mt Cook and the vibrant blue waters of Lake Pukaki
- Church of the Good Shepherd at Lake Tekapo
- Wanaka and Lake Hawea
- The Remarkables and Moke Lake in Queenstown
- Glenorchy and Lake Wakatipu
- The Tasman and Hooker Lakes within the Mt Cook Village
- Scenic Flight around the Southern Alps with glacier landing
- Milford Sound with nature cruise
- The tree-lined hills of Arrowtown
Date: December 8th – 14th, 2018
Location: South Island of New Zealand
Group Size: Maximum of 8 workshop participants
Skill Level: Suitable for photographers of all skill levels
Fitness Level / Difficulty: A moderate level of fitness is required. The longest hike will be to the Hooker Lake which is approximate 5km return.
Permit: I am a fully licensed guide and operator with the Department Of Conservation in New Zealand. This is mandatory for all photographers offering workshops in NZ.
- Experienced and professional guided tour (DOC licensed) through the South Island of NZ
- 7-days of personal and professional photography tuition from myself and my assistant
- Learn how to shoot long exposures, night photography, sunrises and sunsets and aerial photography
- Effectively compose unique and strong compositions
- Understand and comfortably learn how to shoot in manual mode
- Learn about the importance of light and how to pre-visualise and create impactful images
- Post processing tutorials using Photoshop – RAW file processing, exposure blending, glow effects, sharpening, resizing
- 6 nights’ accommodation (twin share)
- Transport for the duration of the tour
- Scenic flight and glacier landing (weather dependant)
- Milford Sound 2-hour nature cruise
- Personal assistance at every location, addressing your own photography goals
What's Not Included
- Flights/transport to and from Queenstown NZ
- Travel Insurance
- Other sundry expenses such as laundry, phone calls etc