New Zealand South Island Photography Workshop
– Winter –
(July 28th – August 2nd)
This 6-day photography workshop covers it all. From ice-filled glacial lakes, snowy peaks that pierce the clouds, tree lined landscapes and hours of soft golden light, photographing the South Island of New Zealand is pure magic. Immersing in the beauty of a South Island winter is a must for any serious photographer and anyone who wishes to experience some of the best landscapes on the planet.
Overview/What to Expect
This is a personal and private 6-day photography workshop exploring some of the most incredible locations in the stunning South Island of New Zealand. I’ve been shooting professionally for years now, guiding people to these places that I know well and admire. I know where to be at the right time and I know how to help take your photography and your photographic vision to the next level. This is my love, my passion and what I know best.
On all my tours, my aim is for you to not only experience the beauty of a country but also go home with memories, skills and images that will last a life time. From sunrise to sunset, night photography and post-processing, I’ll be using my local knowledge and experience to make sure we are at the right places when it matters the most. I’ll also be sharing with you all I know about photography and what goes in to making my images. With a small group size, we have a personal and flexible learning environment, allowing you to explore and find your own compositions and get the most out of this unforgettable experience.
A big part of landscape photography is being able to read and adapt to the conditions at hand and as a result I believe some of the best images are unplanned, reacting to a unique moment that suddenly presents itself. So, although an itinerary with locations and accommodation is booked, I always allow for the unforeseen situations that have a way of regularly occurring in a place like New Zealand. In the past, this has seen us photographing the Aurora Australis through the night, chasing a snow storm in Wanaka and making several detours on the way to Tekapo to capture a flurry of snow and rainbows.
Your photography and your goals are my commitment and I delight in seeing you capture the images you’ve always dreamed of. This art has changed my life and I want you to experience it too.
Leaving from Queenstown we will cover some of New Zealand’s grandest winter landscapes;
- Queenstown and Glenorchy – Lake Wakatipu, Moke Lake, Walter Peak, the Remarkables
- Wanaka – That famous tree, Roys Peak optional helicopter landing*, Lake Hawea, Lindis Pass
- Lake Ohau – Ben Ohau and the Ohau ranges
- Tekapo – Church of the Good Shepherd, Mt John, Southern Alps
- Aoraki/Mount Cook – Hooker Lake, Tasman Lake, Morning Flight w/Glacier Landing*, Lake Pukaki
Plus countless sporadic moments of chasing light that occurs regularly in NZ
Date: July 28th – August 2nd 2018
Location: South Island of New Zealand
Group Size: Maximum of 8 workshop participants
Skill Level: Suitable for photographers of all skill levels
Fitness Level / Difficulty: There is minimal hiking on this workshop. The longest hike will be to the Hooker Lake, which is approximate 5km return on flat ground.
- Experienced guided tour (DOC licensed) through the South Island of NZ
- 7-days of personal and professional photography tuition from myself
- Learn how to shoot long exposures, night photography, sunrises and sunsets and aerial photography
- Effectively compose unique and strong compositions
- Understand and comfortably learn how to shoot in manual mode
- Post processing tutorials using Photoshop – RAW file processing, exposure blending, glow effects, sharpening, resizing
- 6 nights’ accommodation (twin share)
- Transport for the duration of the tour
- Scenic flight and glacier landing (weather dependant)
- Personal assistance at every location, addressing your own photography goals