Ultimate New Zealand – Autumn Photography Workshop
If I had to choose one country to photograph the rest of my life, it would be New Zealand. From glaciers, cloud piercing mountains, ancient forests and rugged coastlines all accessible in one day, NZ is truly a photographers paradise. This is the one country I have travelled to the most and not only know like the back of my hand but am highly passionate about. Join me on this workshop to some of most dramatic and scenic locations on the South Island and experience first hand what the obsession is all about.
Overview/What to Expect
This workshop is a 7-day photography tour exploring some of the most incredible, jaw-dropping locations in the stunning South Island of New Zealand. We will stand beneath and fly above the cloud piercing Aoraki/Mt Cook, photograph the famous tree beside the calm waters of lake Wanaka, shoot the Milky Way above the historic Church of the Good Shepherd at Tekapo and also cruise beneath the towering waterfalls in Milford Sound. Aside from visiting the classics, I also want to share with you some of NZ’s lesser known gems and most importantly, how to visualise and create your own unique images.
On all my tours, my aim is for you to not only experience the beauty of a country but also go home with memories, skills and photo’s that will last a life time. From sunrise to sunset as well as astro photography, I will make sure we are at the right places when it matters most, using my extensive experience of this land to get you the best photo’s possible. From my workflow out in the field, to post production techniques, I’ll share with you all that I know about photography and how to get the most out of this art.
A big part of landscape photography is being able to read and adapt to the conditions at hand and as a result I believe some of the best images are unplanned, reacting to a unique moment that suddenly presents itself. So although an itinerary with locations and accommodation is booked, I always allow for the unforeseen situations that have a way of regularly occurring in a place like New Zealand. If you want to take your photography to the next level and see the very best of this country in a relaxed, small group environment, than this workshop is for you.
Our tour will see us explore the following locations:
Leaving from Queenstown we will cover some of New Zealand’s grandest landscapes;
- Mt Cook and the ice filled Hooker Lake
- Church of the Good Shepherd at Lake Tekapo
- Milford Sound with nature cruise
- Wanaka (yes, the famous lone tree)
- The Remarkables and Moke Lake in Queenstown
- Tasman Glacier/Southern Alps
Plus plenty of ‘stop the car’ moments along the way
Date: May 15 – 21 2018 (Booked Out)
May 4 – 10 2019 (Places Available)
Location: South Island of New Zealand
Group Size: Maximum of 6 workshop participants
Skill Level: Suitable for photographers of all skill levels
Fitness Level / Difficulty: A moderate level of fitness is required. The longest hike will be to the Hooker Lake which is approximate 5km return (about 3hrs total).
Permit: I am a fully licensed guide and operator with the Department Of Conservation in New Zealand. This is mandatory for all photographers offering workshops in NZ.
- Experienced and professional guide (DOC licensed) through the South Island
- 7-days of personal and professional photography tuition from myself
- Learn how to shoot long exposures, night photography, sunrises and sunsets and aerial photography
- Effectively compose unique and strong compositions
- Understand and comfortably learn how to shoot in manual mode
- Post processing tutorials using Photoshop – RAW file processing, exposure blending, glow effects, sharpening, resizing
- 6 nights’ accommodation (twin share)
- Transport for the duration of the tour
- Scenic flight and glacier landing (weather dependant)
- Milford Sound 2 hour nature cruise
- Personal assistance at every location, addressing your own photography goals
- Flights/transport to and from Queenstown NZ
- Travel Insurance
- Other sundry expenses such as laundry, phone calls etc